FAQs on Tradeshow and Event Management with RFID
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on Tradeshow and Event Management with RFID
What is the difference between AVANTE first generation and the new 2nd generation RFID badges?
- The first generation AVANTE RFID badges use passive tags based on ISO 15693 with patented antenna arrays and soldered interconnections.
- It works well for lead retrieval applications but is slightly short of memory space for adequately covering all of the required fields.
- These badges with proper size of at 3”x4” and sometimes 4”x6” provide adequate read distance to cover a 3-4 ft door for a single panel portal and a 5-6 ft door for a double panel portal.
- SMART-PORTAL™ is a patented application that provides the potential benefits of monitoring attendance in an unobtrusive and non-intrusive manner. However, even with best engineered antenna arrays, the read distance is still not adequate to cover front doors as wide as 10 ft for exhibition halls. The portals and tags using passive technology can only provide traffic monitoring for exhibition hall isles that are typically as wide as 10-15 ft.
- While UHF tags can theoretically provide longer read distance if one can arrange for the badge to be held away from the body, the tags have proven to be too sensitive and require too much manipulation to perform adequately.
- AVANTE 2nd generation RFID badges use a patent-pending combination technology of active and passive RFID within the same ISO card size badge. This change provides the following benefits:
Change from ISO 15693 to ISO 14443 passive RFID to increase the memory capacity to well over 800 bytes of usable memory.
Incorporation of active RFID component provides an adjustable read distance. AVANTE sets the default read distance of around 12 ft to provide ability to cover both isles and wide exhibition hall doors as well be capable of diffetentiating between individual adjoining seminar rooms.
This 2nd generation SMART-PORTAL™ provides the exhibitors the ability to learn of those attendees (as long as they agree to be included in this advanced service) that are interested in their products and services when they walk within 12 ft of the exhibition booth.
What are the advantages of LRS™ with the use of RFID Badge over the traditional 2-D barcode and magnetic card badges?
- 2-D barcode badges need line-of-sight aiming and are notorious for needing to be repeatedly scanned. In many cases, printed badges must be taken out and still need repeated scan attempts. Long lines in many shows that AVANTE attended led to the development of the LRS™.
- Magnetic stripe cards must be taken out of the visitor's badge holder and also often require repeated swipe attempts. In addition, magnetic stripe cards are quite easily demagnetized thus requiring reissuing of a new card. Also, magnetic cards at the size 2"x3" limit the use of larger fonts for ease of name recognition.
- RFID Badge is a paper-based badge available in various sizes. AVANTE recommends the use of 3"x4" for larger fonts, which means easier name recognition. The badge is scanned while being worn in an approximate distance of 2-6 inches.
- The 13.56 MHz technology used in LRS™ is universally accepted in all continents meeting the ISO standard. RFID Badge uses RFID technology, which can be extended to access control and management of trade shows. This cannot be done with magnetic stripe card or 2-D bar code technologies.
- This is a patented technology and application of AVANTE international technology, Inc. An additional patent is pending on other aspects with the use of this technology.
How do exhibitors get their sales leads using the LRS™?
- LRS™ prints out the visitor data and profiler information as captured on paper.
- Instead of using the standard floppy disk media that exhibitors must carry home for electronic data entry, exhibitors will capture their leads directly from an AVANTE LRS unit using jump-drive. They can download their leads to their computer via these jump drives anytime they wish.
- The visitor data can also be directly used and linked with customer relation management tools such as "ACT", "GOLDMINE" and other CRM and relational database.
- This means that exhibitor staff can go onto vacation after the show. Someone else in the office can follow up. Business continues without losing a beat.
Does AVANTE provide online pre-show and onsite attendee registration?
- LRS™ provides online attendee (web-based) registration for every client tradeshow.
- Customized online registration forms can be created for every show upon request by show and event organizers.
- AVANTE is responsible for interfacing with attendee registration databases of the client or client designated attendee registration or management companies. Badge printing and issuing is part of the service provided by AVANTE without additional cost.
- Real-time credit card verification is part of the attendee online and onsite registration service.
- AVANTE also provides full service onsite registration and badge issuing.
Does AVANTE provide housing, transportation, and special event registrations?
- Yes. AVANTE provides registration and tracking services as part of the standard service offering.
- Special event registration and access codes are encoded electronically in the RFID Badge RFID chip.
- Special privileges and accesses can be purchased onsite and encoded onsite instead of special ticketing.
- Special passes and tickets can be purchased in bulk and passed to special guests of the exhibitors as part of promotional activities.
Does AVANTE provide seminar-symposium registration and access control, educational course registration and tracking, professional course accreditation management, special event access control and management, and social events ticketing and management?
- The benefits of read-write capability and long-range reading of RFID Badge is best realized in these complex applications.
- Each special event, seminar, symposium, privilege, and educational course can be directly coded into the RFID Badge RFID chip.
- Additional courses and privileges can be purchased and added on directly without changing badges.
- Special RFID mobile portals can be placed at the meeting hall entrances to control and record all access. The attendance records are automatically recorded and reported.
- When used as entrance portals for segmented exhibit halls the portals provide demographic profiles of specific interests.
- Special reports from the visitation data can also be used to help the show organizers fine-tune the show content and promote increased attendance.
How long does it take AVANTE to provide custom tradeshow website?
- Depending on the complexity, it typically takes 2-4 weeks.
- This is a 3-6 time faster turn-around time than our competitors.
How much does LRS™ unit and other services cost?
- The unit rental and services of LRS™ is competitive and similar to the basic unit of our competitors.
- Instead of exuberant charges of $300 to $500 for the more advanced technology and enhanced functionality such as customized profiler, LRS™ rental and service fees remain the same but with more enriched features that come standard.
- Onsite and online attendee registration and fees collection cost is also competitive.